We match a volunteer Big Brother or Big Sister with a child who could benefit from a one-to-one relationship with a caring adult, with consideration to geographic location, interests, personalities and preferences of Bigs, Littles, parents and schools. BBBS staff maintains regular contact with Bigs, Littles and parents to help the friendships develop and monitor child safety, and are always available to answer questions or discuss concerns. Matches are made in the following programs:
Bigs spend time with their Littles two to four times a month for a couple of hours each visit doing activities they both enjoy. They might spend time fishing, hiking, taking in a community event, making dinner, or watching a movie.
- Big Brothers and Big Sisters are at least 18 years old; Littles are 6-17 years old.
- Bigs agree to meet consistently with their Littles for at least one year.
- Match activities take place mostly after school, in the evening, or on weekends.
- BBBS offers free group activities once per month for Bigs and Littles.
- Couples Match: A couples match occurs when two Bigs in a stable relationship are matched with a Little.
Bigs meet with their Littles for an hour a week during the school year at the Little's elementary or middle school. They might spend time reading, working on schoolwork, playing games, or sharing lunch.
- Big Brothers and Big Sisters must be in high school or at least 18 years old; Littles are in grades K-8.
- Bigs agree to meet consistently with their Littles for at least one calendar year.
- Matches may continue through subsequent school years.
- Match activities take place at school during school hours with limited contact over the summer.
- BBBS offers free group activities over the summer for School Program Bigs and Littles.
- High School Bigs: JDHS and TMHS students spend time with their Little before, during, or after classes at either Riverbend or Harborview Elementary schools.
Johnson Youth Center Program
Bigs spend time with a youth at the facility while the youth is in treatment and/or upon release.
- Matches will meet for one hour a week at the facility, or if the youth earns the opportunity to leave the facility on a pass they can do so with their Big.